Thursday, March 5, 2009

Milkd


Sunday 1 March 2009

Milkd
32 Angove Street, North Perth
(08) 9228 8867


1. Comfort and surroundings

Lola: So the table was small and the stools were small but it didn't really bother me too much. I guess they were in proportion and despite their miniature quality I didn't feel like I was crammed into a small space trying to avoid other cafe patrons. The street was nice and quiet on a Sunday morning and the joint was quite charming and relaxed. But even though it was a fairly nice day it was way too hot inside meaning sitting in a booth (our preferred position in any venue) just wasn't an option bringing a big cross. I'm going 2.5.

Alexander: I don't think Milkd is really set up for comfort, but that doesn't mean it felt unpleasant. In fact, there's quite a bit to like; it's a nice setting, there's a regular stream of people (without being too busy) and there's a good vibe to the place. My biggest complaint was the heat inside. It wasn't a particularly hot day but it was too sticky to sit inside! So we sat outside on the mini table and stools. Compared to some other breakfast spots, Milkd was a bit average - it gets a 2.5 from me too.

2. Service

Lola: I had minimal contact with any staff, not having done the ordering but my impression was that they were polite enough. We didn't have to wait for a noticeably long time so no complaints from my end. A 4 from me, no complaints but nothing stood out.

Alexander: It's self-service but the waitstaff are friendly and there was just the right amount of waiting time for the food to come out. No one offered us water though, so it's lucky we brought our own. So 3.5.

3. Tastiness

Lola: Okay I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast with hazelnut pesto. It was good but nothing special. The hazelnut pesto was pretty special itself but the quantity of egg and the flavour of the smoked salmon meant that I couldn't taste it when eating it as it was presented. Separating the dish into pesto on toast and eggs with salmon was effective but distracting. I'll give it a 3.

Alexander: I'm giving it a 3 too. The food was like a nice meal that you cook yourself at home: everything tastes good and you have no complaints, but it's not that special. I had the pancetta bacon with poached eggs, tomato and rocket. Everything worked and there was a decent portion of food, but I could have done this myself.

4. Drinks

Lola: A 4 from me! The drink options were extensive enough and the iced coffee we both selected was to my taste.

Alexander: I was much less impressed. It was a very standard iced coffee. But I have very high standards for cold drinks. A 2 from me.

5. Fiscal matters

Lola: It wasn't amazing value but it was standard, for my mind. Not too bad at all. But points off for the overpriced nature of the iced coffee - yeah it was good but not six dollars good. I still managed to get out of there for under $20 so I'll give it a 3.5.

Alexander: You can get things for under $10 and the mains go up to about $17. I've seen much more expensive in Perth, so no complaints in relation to price. Except for the average iced coffee, which was a bit overpriced! All in all, 3.5 from me too.

The verdict...

Comfort & surroundings: 5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Tastiness: 6/10
Drinks: 6/10
Fiscal Matters: 7/10
TOTAL: 31.5/50


Milkd on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment